A new quiz year is starting! To make sure you have time to get back into the right mindset, the first round is a very relaxed one. 25 titles without wild shooting around, and no complicated platforming either. Instead you can take your time, get coffee without pausing the game and explore the world while solving the occasional riddle. If this sounds a bit like walking simulators, well yeah, you'll find some of these in this round.
Your favourites (SoundFX, Retro Pixel, MS DOS classics...) are already in preparation - I hope it'll again be a great quiz year. Lots of fun and good luck to all of you!
We are now at the halfway point of our walk in the park, and with over fifty participants (one from here) it appears you are enjoying this round. It might also be the difficulty, which apparently is a bit on the lower side for the first quiz of the year... you'll need more than 20 correct answers to get a top 10 position.
Some clues I will still give you - good luck and maybe they'll help you recognise more.
1) Number 21 and 25 show browser games. 2) Two years ago I took screenshot 23 myself on my Nintendo Switch. 3) Title #7 is the oldest of this round by far - a classic from the 1990s. 4) The games 3 and 19 are younger and were released in the 2000s. 5) But to my great surprise when I looked it up - ALL other games are from the past decade!
Post by Mr_Horizon on Mar 28, 2020 12:26:52 GMT -5
March Quiz - a walk in the park - Clues #2
Our walk is almost over, you only have this weekend left! In total there are seventyeight people now, and three from this community. This is actually not okay, haven't you heard we're supposed to avoid big groups now.
Here are the last clues, afterwards go get those answers.
1) Game six is not "the long dark". 2) But of course, title 13 is "Tetris". What else! 3) However game 14 is not "Inside". 4) Number 16 is not "Alan Wake". 5) And at last, Game 23 is not "Breath of the Wild".
Everybody back at home, washed your hands and ready for the Corona lockdown? Great! We were exactly one hundred people (wow!), and five from here. Given the amount of participants I guess you must have liked this round with slower and less action heavy games.
But some people clearly didn't get the theme of this month... who puts scary stuff like "outlast" or "five nights at Freddies" in a quiz about mainly walking simulators?
Before we dive into the answers, to this first round of the year I want to welcome three new communities:
1) Firewatch A very recognizable watch tower, the easiest game of this round. solved by: 95% other suggestions: -
2) Journey solved by: 94% other suggestions:
3) Professor Layton solved by: 91% other suggestions: -
4) Abzû solved by: 74% other suggestions: Subnautica, Gravity Rush, Scuba the Diver, Steep
5) RiME solved by: 79% other suggestions: The last Guardian, Beyond Eyes, ICO
6) Lost Ember solved by: 48% other suggestions: the first Tree, the last Tree, the long Dark, Zelda Twilight Princess, Shelter, WolfQuest, Silent Hill, Spirit of the North, Wolfenstein, Tokyo Jungle
7) Myst This tough puzzle game classic is the only 90s title this time. solved by: 76% other suggestions: Everybody's gone to the Rapture, Another World, Reah: face the unknown
8.) Among the Sleep solved by: 51% other suggestions: Five nights at Freddies, what became of Edith Finch, Everybody's gone to the Rapture, Resident Evil, Naughty Bear, Bear with me, Little Nightmares, Stacking
9) Dear Esther solved by: 70% other suggestions: the Path, Stalker, Bioshock
10) Everybody's gone to the rapture solved by: 58% other suggestions: The Sims 4,
11) Kentucky Route Zero solved by: 43% other suggestions: Untitled Goose Game, Tetris, State of Mind, Another Life
12) Gone Home solved by: 48% other suggestions: Outlast, Tetris, SAW, Layers of Fear, the moon sliver
13) Talos Principle solved by: 49% other suggestions: Tetris, Unfinished Swan, Serious Sam
14) the Stanley Parable solved by: 84% other suggestions: Portal, Half Life 2, Ether One, Inside, Superliminal, Anti Chamber
15) What remains of Edith Finch solved by: 66% other suggestions: Myst 2, this war of mine, a way out, Dear Esther, Sword and Scorcery
16) the Vanishing of Ethan Carter solved by: 57% other suggestions: The Walking Dead, Electric Blue Bogaloo, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Game of Thrones, the Astronauts, Alan Wake
17) Proteus solved by: 54% other suggestions: Star Wars, Pixel, Undertale
18.) Tacoma solved by: 52% other suggestions: Inviso-Man, Deus Ex, Detroit Become Human, Etherborn, State of Mind
19) Flower solved by: 90% other suggestions: -
20) the Witness solved by: 72% other suggestions: Beyond the Eyes, Awkward Dimensions Redux
22) Hatoful Boyfriend Someone entered "that bird visual novel"... technically correct, but no points regardless. solved by: 69% other suggestions: Braak, Hotline Miami, Mohawk Cyber Bird Pirates, that bird visual novel
23) Inner Space A multiplatform title without danger or enemies, where you fly around exploring and solving button puzzles. Here's a trailer for the Switch version: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwtFhU3swmM solved by: 23% other suggestions: Zelda Breath of the Wild, Aerial Assault, Abzu, Yonder Cloud Catcher Chronicles, Fe, Aer - Memories of the Old, No Mans Sky, Panzer Dragoon, Journey to the Savage Planet, Shape of the World, Sky: Children of the Light
24) Mosaic solved by: 39% other suggestions: Inside, Orwell, AVGN the game, to the moon, Kentucky Road Zero, Dreams, Virginia, Dead Synchronicity
25) Extrasolar A Browsergame, active from 2014 to 2018. You were controlling a robot rover in slow, slow realtime on a distant planet. www.extrasolar.com/ solved by: 22% other suggestions: Death Stranding, Obduction, Lifeless Planet, the solus project, Corona Simulator, Rock Simulator, Geogessr, Dream, Amikrog, Outer Wilds
4py = 4Players forum can = Canard PC dgo = Dialogoption forum eab = English Amiga Board gpo = Gamepro forum gms = Gamestar forum guf = Gaming Universe forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 lgs = last game standing m!g = M!Games forum mtc = Metacouncil forum mmx = Multimediaxis forum ntl = NintendoLife forum mnc = altes maniac forum pcx = PCX forum pop = PowerPlay forum rta = ResetEra forum rtc = Retro Canteen forum rpg = RPG Maker MV forum sh2 = Shock² forum vgz = Videogameszone forum
So then, a winners ceremony: Congratulations to Earthpainting, fl0rian, Hamlet Machine, Splunge, Lafazar, J.R. and residentgrigo... you all have FULL POINTS and won this round!
Also kudos to Kong, Gerhard S & Qwark, together you form the Top 10.
Be it almost the entire racing game genre, car based mini games, shootouts on wheels or just background decoration - cars are everywhere in our video game entertainment. This quiz round is all about recognising games throughout decades, genres and platforms... all just by the exterior of some car. Think you can do that?
If you take a closer look at these screen fragments, you might notice there's none of the famous racing simulations around. That's because modern realistic racing games like Forza, Gran Turismo or Driveclub do unfortunately look a bit similar. Instead of those you'll get a mix of genres featuring lots of colourful cars in many different graphics styles.