Everybody loves a classic - but also if it means exclusively MS-DOS games from the 80s and 90s?? For some those will be sweet memories of their childhood or youth, and for console users or those born after these games were released... well they're classics regardless.
The first instalment of the "DOS classics" was the most successful quiz round of all time - so of course you're getting a part two. The March round was very new, this one is very retro... I am sure everybody appreciates a good balance.
Well, is the old DOS tower still booting properly? Or do you satisfy your nostalgia via emulators instead. ^_^ This months riddle is well received so far - forty people are in, but none from this forum.
Here are some clues - good luck!
1) Four games were published by EA. 2) In the 11, 13, 15 and 16 you are driving a car. 3) There is a first person shooter hidden in the second row. 4) I made a mistake with game #5, that isn't a DOS game. -_-
Alright the DOS classics #2 quiz is over, time to wake up from that sweet 90s nostalgia slumber party! With 110 participants it's the second largest quiz of all, just slightly behind its predecessor (DOS classics #1) last year. Think we'll have another sequel one day? And how many people joined from this community? --> five
In France the quiz got shared to another community, so I welcome the first players from "Abandonware France"!
Now, let's have some answers:
1) Star Wars Rebel Assault 2 I am very lenient when it comes to answers in the first row... but can the person that entered "SW Rouge Sqadroon 2" please step forward and apologize! solved by: 95% other suggestions: Fifth Element
2) Lemmings 3D Everybody got this one right! It baffles me that the Lemmings are still such a recognisable bunch after all these years. solved by: 100% other suggestions: -
3) Fallout solved by: 85% other suggestions: -
4) UFO Enemy Unknown / X-Com solved by: 65% other suggestions: Sim Earth, Civilization, Command & Conquer, Super Stardust, Populous, Where in the worls is Carmen Sandiego
5) American McGees Alice This was a Windows game, sorry. -_- solved by: 73% other suggestions: Fallout, Alone in the Dark, Revolution 60, Adams Family
6) Loom solved by: 65% other suggestions: Manhunter, Dune, The Dig, The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate, Wasteland, Star Wars, Eye of the Beholder
7) Gabriel Knight solved by: 63% other suggestions: Dark Forces, Lionheart, Monkey Island, Dune, Monkey Island,
8.) Z solved by: 74% other suggestions: Dune, Doom, Space Quest 4
9) Exhumed / Power Slave Different names in different countries. Ten people have guessed "Diablo", but that's not a DOS game. solved by: 54% other suggestions: Diablo, Lands of Lore, Dungeon Keeper, The Mummy, Waxworks, Baphomets Fluch
10) Master of Orion solved by: 52% other suggestions: Star Control, Robots, Beneath a Steel Sky, C-3PO
11) Stunts / 4D Driving solved by: 65% other suggestions: Test Drive 3, Stunt Racer, Stunt Cars, Cars, Car And Driver, Race Drivin, Hard Drivin'
12) Dungeon Keeper solved by: 58% other suggestions: Baldur's Gate, Legacy of Kain, Genewars, Your Father Smellt of Elderberries
13) Destruction Derby There were ten entries for "GTA". solved by: 60% other suggestions: Grand Theft Auto, The Need for Speed, Interstate 76, demolition derby, Driver
14) Scorched Earth solved by: 50% other suggestions: Bunker Buster, Tanks, Tank Wars, Artillery, Moonraker, Missile Command
15) the Need for Speed solved by: 60% other suggestions: Lotus, Carmageddon, Bleifuss, Test Drive, Interstate 76, Sega GT
16) Death Rally solved by: 52% other suggestions: Carmageddon, VW Beetle Race
17) Police Quest - pursuit of death angel Eight people went with "back to the future"... number 17 was the second hardest game of this round. solved by: 23% other suggestions: Back to the Future, Shadow of the Comet, KGB, Flashback, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Broken Sword, Harvester, Beneath a Steel Sky
18.) Theme Park Taken from the 3D render intro of the CD version. solved by: 73% other suggestions: Little Big Adventure, Constructor, big, Theme Hospital
19) Raptor - call of the shadows solved by: 65% other suggestions: Herzog Zwei, Command and Conquer, Tyrian 2000
20) one must fall 2097 solved by: 52% other suggestions: Rise of the Robots, Transformers, Bioforge
21) Jill of the Jungle solved by: 56% other suggestions: Command & Conquer, Swimsuit Runner, Golden Axe, L'amerzone Queen, Street Fighter
22) Red Baron solved by: 49% other suggestions: Panzer General, Iron Cross, Command & Conquer, Wolfenstein 3D, Blue Max: Aces of the Great War, Adolf Hitler's Revenge 2, ancient art of war in the skies, Knights of the Sky
23) Railroad Tycoon solved by: 49% other suggestions: Where is Carmen Sandiego, Theme Hospital, Monopoly, Airline Tycoon, Terminal
24) Return to Zork An entry of the famous "Zork" series, this time with oddball FMV characters. Hardest title of this quiz! solved by: 11% other suggestions: Tex Murphy - under a killing moon, Harvester, Soviet Adventure, Willi Lemkes Fussballmanager, Normality, Noctropolis, Resident Evil, The Dame Was Loaded, Commander, Half Life, Martian Memorandum, Oil Imperium, Phantasmagoria, Toonstruck, Beneath a steel sky
25) Might and Magic 1 solved by: 38% other suggestions: The Lords of Midnight, Doomdark's Revenge, Wizardry, Knight Games, Samurai Senpai, Barbarian, Ultima, Undertale, Majik Adventure, Thexder
4py = 4Players Forum abf = Abandonware France can = Canard PC dgo = Dialogoption Forum eab = English Amiga Board gpo = Gamepro Forum gms = Gamestar Forum guf = Gaming Universe Forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 lgs = last game standing m!g = M!Games Forum mtc = Metacouncil Forum mmx = Multimediaxis Forum ntl = NintendoLife Forum mnc = altes maniac Forum pcx = PCX Forum pop = PowerPlay Forum rta = ResetEra Forum rtc = Retro Canteen Forum rpg = RPG Maker MV Forum sh2 = Shock² Forum spz = Spazio PC vgz = Videogameszone Forum
So then, here's a winners ceremony: Congratulations to Bouyi, residentgrigo, J.R., lifer, wiede, Mod-Team, Splunge, Strider, The_Bach and Lafazar... you all have FULL SCORE and won this round!
DOS is dear to my heart, so I'm glad I did well :-) I was expecting to feel stupid for not recognizing 17 and 24, but yeah I don't see how I could have gotten those right. Wouldn't have recognized Sonny Bonds in civilian clothes, and I don't think I ever saw that Zork screen before.
To repeat excelsior's notion, the quiz remains a very welcome distraction.
Red Alert! Red Alert! All values are off the scale, containment breach is imminent... save yourself, tHe mOnStErS aRe cOmInG!!!
We expect a breakout of four creatures like mankind has never seen before - pieced together from parts, like the legendary creature of Dr. Frankenstein, but not from corpses - no, built from the video game monsters that YOU picked last round! D:
Can you identify all body parts of this monstrous horde?? Because only then, ONLY THEN, can these beasts be driven back!
There is also a bonus question, as the source of the title image (the lab with these ominous glowing glass cylinders) is taken from a recent video game. But which one?
Deadline is Tuesday the 30th of June. This post is just the intro... the monsters will be revealed one after the other in the coming days.
This quiz has been inspired by an idea from the user a gentle Breeze from the Powerplay forum, his good work failed two years ago due to a lack of participants. Here's a link (click on "frameset laden" at the bottom for the full forum). I have his permission to try this format again.
Last Edit: Jun 8, 2020 3:18:32 GMT -5 by Mr_Horizon
ALARM! We detected a second breakout, prepare for the encounter! The fog fades away, and it is... it is... a frightening pixelated mass of tentacles, giant eyes and lots of teeth! Run and save yourself!
Once again, identify as many body parts as you can - be it the Game or the Character.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Jun 12, 2020 10:25:31 GMT -5
Monster C (3 out of 4)
ALARM! Another glass tube has shattered - what are we facing this time??? It is... it is... oh it doesn't look so bad? No, wait! Stay away, beyond its cute face there is horror beyond belief! Don't look!
No, actually, do look. You still got to identify those body parts. Name either game or the character.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Jun 14, 2020 15:29:38 GMT -5
Monster D (4 out of 4)
Aaaand BAM, the last creature has broken free! And it is... it is... some sort of lizard grandma with a purple skirt and bird feet?! Is this a joke?? Watch it though, that's a massive sword!
With this post, this months quiz has been fully revealed. Many of you have complained about the difficulty - and it's true, this is the toughest riddle I made in years, harder than the soundFX quizzes and at least as complex as the fake screenshots from a few years ago. In short, I do not expect anyone to achieve full score.
Do your best - and end of next week there'll be some clues as well.