Post by Mr_Horizon on Jun 19, 2020 12:30:55 GMT -5
June Quiz - Clues #1
The monsters are roaming around! Can you stop them before they leave the lab?? Several body parts have not been identified, and many more have answer rates under 10%... there's lots of room for growth here, the average score is at just six points.
So far there are 40 people participating, and none from this community.
Here are some clues on genres and release dates to help you out:
Monster A: Here we have 3x Survival Horror and one each for Open World RPG, Action Adventure, Soulslike and Racing games. It is the most modern creature, made from games from 2005 to 2020.
Monster B: This Beast consists of two Metroidvanias, two classic scrolling sci-fi Shoot'em'ups and an action/strategy mix in space. Oh, there's an FPS as well! Most of the part of this creature have been rotated by 90 degrees.
Monster C: Here you are looking at three classic RPGs plus a MMORPG, two FPS and a simulation. One of the Monsters doesn't even want to kill you, he just want's your money.
Monster D: This creature is made of three more RPGs (all on Nintendo consoles), a point&click adventure, a SNES platformer and an Arcade Shooter. Four of the parts are from Boss enemies.
These are the release years of all games:
And about the bonus question: that game was released in 2020.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Jun 27, 2020 12:15:04 GMT -5
June Quiz - Clues #2
Can it be done? Are you strong enough to push those mad abominations back to the lab, where their hunger for destruction can no longer harm anyone? You only have four days left to help! It is lonely at the top for now, even with less than fifteen points you can still be in the Top 10.
So far there are 52 people playing... that's less than half of last round. From this community one user is in, I hope this weekend will see some more of you join the ranks!
Here are the last clues, so don't hesitate any longer:
- Many people have guessed "Banjo Kazooie", but he and his games are not part of this round at all.
- The same goes for Half Life, StarCraft and Terminator.
- One body part is from a series which is known for its recycling of enemy graphics. Here you don't have to punish yourself to find the exact part, the name of the series is enough. The same goes for other franchises where the monster appears in several entries.
- Usually the rule is "1 monster = 1 part". However, EACH monster has an exception, where it is "1 monster = 2 parts". For example Creature B has its tail and eye stalks come from the same game.
You did it, all monster parts have been identified and the beasts driven back. Congratulations!
A total of 82 people played this month, even though it was one of the hardest riddles of all. And exactly ONE USER really impressed me, as he actually managed to get EVERYTHING RIGHT. Wow!
Who was that? You'll see at the end of the post, but first we'll look at the correct answers game by game. There's a lot of text and images, so get ready to scroll.
MONSTER A (7x completely solved)
1) Resident Evil 3 The antagonist of the 1999 game "Resident Evil 3: Nemesis" is the head of the first monster, but taken from the 2020 remake instead. Favourite of: Elgin_McQueen, Walti Solved by: 89%
2) Silent Hill Homecoming Are there any video game monsters more iconic than Pyramid Head? For "Monster A" his bloody skirt was used. Favourite of: hellermarie, Hamlet Machine, Gerhard S. Solved by: 77%
3) Shadow of the Colossus Chest and left arm - those were taken from the colossus Gaius. Favourite of: fl0rian Solved by: 70%
4) Dead Space The Necromorphs, horribly disfigured formerly human monsters from this space horror series. Their arms are mutated into giant scythes, which you can see in the quiz picture. Favourite of: Biscuit Solved by: 62%
5) Fallout 3 The Super Mutants are very ugly Fallout enemies, and the "Supermutant Behemoth" is the biggest of them all. His right arm was used in this quiz. Favourite of: Carnivore, Klingsor- Solved by: 34%
6) Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled This is the mask, beard and feet of "Megamix", a mix of the Crash Bandicoot characters Dr. Neo Cortex, N. Gin, Tiny Tiger and Dingodile. The image used was taken from the last Crash Team Racing game. Those who instead of "Megamix or Crash Team Racing" just entered "Dr.Cortex or Crash Bandicoot"... sorry, no points this time. So mean! Favourite of: Scorplian Solved by: 29%
7) Dark Souls To spot a Mimic chest in Dark Souls, one has to look at the shape of the iron chain on its right side... and it's this chain that has been added to complete Monster A. Sneaky! Favourite of: Splunge, Rudi Ratlos Solved by: 15%
Other suggestions: Alien Breed, Alien Isolation, Aliens, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Bio Freaks, Bioshock, Bloodborne Bloody Roar, Bowser, Breath of the Wild, Brutal: Paws of Fury, Crash Bandicoot, Dead by Daylight, Demon's Soul, Doom, Doom 3, Dr. Neo Cortex, Eternal Darkness, Fable II, Gears of War, Ice age, Iron Maiden, Jak & Daxter, Layers of Fear, Mario Kart 7, Mega Man, My Singing Monsters, Ninja Turtles, Nioh 2, Orc, Outlast, Predator, Primal rage, Quake, Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of Mordor, Skylanders, Skyrim, Soma, Sonic, Starcraft, Terminator, The evil within, The Surge 2, The Witcher, Unreal, World of Warcraft
- - - - -
MONSTER B (10x completely solved)
1) Doom A flying sphere with an infectious smile - that's the Cacodemon from Doom. He's the central body of Monster B. Favourite of: The_BACH Solved by: 78%
2) R-Type The first boss of this legendary Shmup is Dobkeratops, his tail and eye stalks were used here. Favourite of: Dark Kariya Solved by: 57%
3) Castlevania Symphony of the Night The Medusa Heads from Castlevania were recycled that often, I didn't care what series entry you entered. Favourite of: QFNS Solved by: 52%
4) Metroid Fusion This is "SA-X", going after you in its especially monstrous form. Taken from a GBA entry of the Metroid series. You can see its lower body in the finished Monster B. Favourite of: fedprod Solved by: 44%
5) Star Control Most went with the better known 2nd entry, but the first part also had these graphics of the Ur-Quan Aliens. Favourite of: Frump Solved by: 24%
6) Xenon 2 Megablast My compliment to all who recognised the head of the spider boss from this old vertical scroller. Favourite of: Pascal Parvex Solved by: 18%
Other suggestions: Alien Soldier, Apydia, Axiom Verge, Contra, Contra 4, Darius, Demon‘s Crest, Entomorph, Gradius, Grandia, Gynoug, Horror Story, Invaders, It Came From the Desert, Master Of Orion, Nemesis, Phelios, Psychosis, Quake, Space Rangers, Splatterhouse, Super Probotector, Terraria, ToeJam & Earl, Turrican
- - - - -
MONSTER C (2x completely solved)
1) Dragon Quest V This is a "Slime", THE standard enemy of the series. It was used as the head of the monster. Favourite of: Darkcloud, Mod-Team, Dogorilla, PUH Solved by: 70%
2) Final Fantasy VIII Welcome to "Tonberry", a frequent character in Final Fantasy. You see its left arm with the lantern. Favourite of: Qwark Solved by: 44%
3) Animal Crossing New Leaf Tom Nook shows up and wants your money - here we have his eyes and legs. Favourite of: MrBlack, Sonic2d Solved by: 33%
4) Quake The bloody body of Shub-Niggurath from the shooter legend Quake. Favourite of: MOGli Solved by: 27%
5) Earthbound Trapped in the lamp is the bizarre final boss of Earthbound, Gigyas. Favourite of: J.R. Solved by: 23%
6) World of Warcraft The "hair" of our creature are just the back stingers of two Murlocs. Favourite of: Kulfy Solved by: 18%
7) Halo 2 The gross Flood Gravemind serves as the right Arm - the most difficult title of this round! Favourite of: malus Solved by: 5%
Other suggestions: Alien, Alien vs predator, Banjo Kazooie, Call of Cthulhu, Conarium, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Dead Space, Doom, Dusk, Far Cry, God of War: Chimera, Gregory horror show, Guild Wars 2, Half Life, Half Life 2, Layers of Fear, Left 4 Dead, Mega Man, Metroid prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Monster Hunter, Neocron 2, Nioh, Persona 4, Rayman raving rabbids, Resident Evil, Serious Sam, Super Smash Bros ultimate , System Shock 2, Terranigma, The Darkness, Toro Inoue, Zelda Majoras Mask, Zelda Ocarina of Time
- - - - -
MONSTER D (9x completely solved)
1) Day of the Tentacle The "skirt" of our monster is nothing else but the purple tentacle from the 2nd Maniac Mansion. Favourite of: Ruvon, wiede Solved by: 83%
2) Space Harrier The head of a flying dragon from this arcade classic. Favourite of: Antiriad2097 Solved by: 48%
3) Terranigma The Mecha-body including the wings come from Dark Gaia (aka Ragnara), the final boss of Terranigma. Favourite of: Mitschel Solved by: 34%
4) Lufia 2 The boss "Gades" donates his sword and shin protectors to complete this monster. Favourite of: TheSnesFreak Solved by: 27%
5) Pokemon Black ...or white. The fur of this little pokemon serves as hair. Favourite of: AuraPaladinne Solved by: 23%
6) Super Mario World 2 The feet and the small hair bit were taken from "Raphael", a boss in Yoshis Island. Tough! Favourite of: Thrawn Solved by: 17%
Other suggestions: Alien Storm, Angry Birds, Animaniacs, Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Clock Tower, Daffy Duck, Doraemon 4, Dragon Quest, Dragonflight, Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy 6, Ghoul Patrol, Golden Sun, Jax and daxter, King of Demons, Legend of Zelda, Megaman, Micke Mous, Dark Souls, Romancing SaGa 3, Secret of evermore, Secret of Mana, Soublade, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Turrican, Sweet Home, The hobbit
- - - - -
Bonus question: What game served as source material for the intro and background pictures of this round? Well, that was the Final Fantasy VII remake!
4py = 4Players Forum can = Canard PC dgo = Dialogoption Forum eab = English Amiga Board gav = Gaming Village gpo = Gamepro Forum gms = Gamestar Forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 lgs = last game standing m!g = M!Games Forum mtc = Metacouncil Forum mmx = Multimediaxis Forum ntl = NintendoLife Forum mnc = old maniac Forum dsc = unknown Discord pcx = PCX Forum pop = PowerPlay Forum rta = ResetEra Forum rtc = Retro Canteen Forum rpg = RPG Maker MV Forum sh2 = Shock² Forum spz = Spazio PC vgz = Videogameszone Forum
So then, here's a winners ceremony: Congratulations to Earthpainting from ResetEra, I did not expect anyone to get full score... I truly am impressed!
Also respect to residentgrigo, AuraPaladinne, J.R., Lifer, Illusionary, The_BACH, Scorplian, Biscuit and Splunge - together you are the Top 10.
Every year this classic makes a return - characters from mostly older games, zoomed in until you can count every single pixel. Can you tell the game from a screen fragment with just a 20x20 resolution?
Similar to the "DOS classics", most games were released in the 1990s, with few exceptions into earlier or later decades. This round has a much bigger focus on consoles though.
You can enter either the name of the game or the name of the character.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Jul 17, 2020 18:57:02 GMT -5
July Quiz - Clues #1
A great weekend to you all, I hope you and your family have gotten around Covid-19 so far and can still find something to enjoy this summer... like the retro pixel quiz round maybe? ^_^
So far 24 people have joined, one of which from here. The average score is single-digit, so it's again not an easy round. However, every game has been guessed correctly at least once! But even the single user who managed to reach the 20-point-barrier is still missing several answers to get a full score.
So then, time for some clues!
1) In the first three rows, we got three well known 1on1 fighting games. 2) Game number 2 is the newest title of this round, having been released just two years ago. The oldest game on the other hand is 41 years (!) old. 3) Three games from the first two rows have appeared in episodes of the "AngryVideoGameNerd". 4) A total of six games have also been released on the Commodore Amiga (not always in the exact same version), one of which even as an exclusive.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Jul 26, 2020 11:48:08 GMT -5
July Quiz - Clues #2
Hey, I almost forgot - the quiz ends next friday, and I haven't posted any clues this weekend! Well then, let's get to it. So far there are 43 players, and three from this community. The overall average score is still below ten points, and no user has managed to get a full score.
So, here the last clues - you have a handful of days left:
1) Game 7 was released as an exclusive title on the Sega Genesis. 2) Title 11 belongs to a series with three games. 3) Number 18 shows a GBA license game to a cartoon show. 4) On picture 15 you can see a robot that you have to beat up, from a multiplatform game.
So, a very neutral 90s Pixel round. Did you like that, or do you prefer your gaming riddles to be less retro? In July the amount of participants has increased again, I am glad the Monster quiz didn't scare you away for long.
In total there were 88 players, and six from this community.
You can find the High Score at the end of this post, but first let's list the correct game titles as text, followed by the big image with all correct answers.
1) Super Metroid The SNES entry of the Metroid series is having its debut in the Minimal/Retro pixel quizzes. solved by: 83% other suggestions: -
2) Celeste solved by: 74% other suggestions: Bloodstained - Curse of the Moon
3) Sonic Advance The easiest game of this round, people just know this head. solved by: 95% other suggestions: -
4) Mortal Kombat solved by: 78% other suggestions: Final Fantasy, Streetfighter, Dune, Mushroom Man
5) X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse solved by: 73% other suggestions: Marvel vs Capcom, Fantastic Four, Mega Man, Robocop
6) Secret of Evermore solved by: 53% other suggestions: Golden Sun, Illusion of Time, Secret of Mana, Son Goku
7) Pulseman solved by: 42% other suggestions: Gunstar Heroes, Mega Man, Mega Man Zero, Sonic Mania, Sonic, Pokemon, Mighty the Armadillo, Pokemon
8.) Berenstain Bears solved by: 49% other suggestions: -
9) Kirbys Adventure solved by: 74% other suggestions: Ice Climbers, Ducktales, Donkey Kong, Parodius, diddy kong
10) the incredible Crash Test Dummies solved by: 58% other suggestions: -
11) Killer Instinct solved by: 24% other suggestions: Body Blows, Body Blows Galactic, Carmageddon, Street fighter, Shadow of the Beast, Clayfighter, Fatal Fury, Pitfighter, Streets of Rage, Super Star Wars
12) Journey to Silius solved by: 23% other suggestions: Space Quest, Star Wars, Paramax, Syndicate, Zillion
13) Illusion of Time solved by: 31% other suggestions: Secret of Mana, Terranigma, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun
14) Wolfchild solved by: 33% other suggestions: Altered Beast, Shadow of the Beast, Brad Fang, Ninja Turtles, Killer Instinct
15) Rise of the Robots solved by: 40% other suggestions: Firebrand, Ridley, One must fall
16) B.O.B. solved by: 35% other suggestions: Flood, ROB, Gobliins
18.) Super Duper Sumos solved by: 27% other suggestions: Yie Ar Kung Fu, Jackie Chan Adventures, Jimmy Neutron, Samurai Jack, The Powerpuff Girls
19) Space Channel 5 solved by: 20% other suggestions: Adventure Time, Bit.Trip Beat, Bit.Trip Runner, Commander Video, Commandgirl Video, Day of the Tentacle, Kirby, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Risk of Rain
20) Boogerman The gentleman with the long chin was way more popular than I had expected. solved by: 69% other suggestions: -
21) Micro Machines 2 solved by: 14% other suggestions: 7x Full Throttle, Crazy Cars, Frank, Leisure Suit Larry, Rick Dangerous
22) Kiki Kakai Also known as "Pocky & Rocky". solved by: 42% other suggestions: Bubble Bobble, Cladun Returns, Ferum, Pokemon
23) Sheriff solved by: 42% other suggestions: Duel, Gun Fight, Jet Set Willy, Outlaw, Undertale, Hidden in Plain Sight, Super Smash Bros, Custers Revenge
24) Double Dragon Advance solved by: 14% other suggestions: Fei Long, Final Fight, Scooby Doo, Shenmue, Street Fighter, Street Fighter 2, Streets of Rage, The Kung Fu, Wolfenstein
25) Timekeepers This is the intro of "Timekeepers", a kind of "top down Lemmings" exclusively for the Commodore Amiga. solved by: 5% other suggestions: Banjo-Kazooie, Chuck Rock, Lemmings 2: The Tribes, Lomax, Metal Slug, Populous, The Humans
4py = 4Players forum can = Canard PC dgo = Dialogoption forum eab = English Amiga Board gav = Gaming Village forum gpo = Gamepro forum gms = Gamestar forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 lgs = last game standing m!g = M!Games forum mtc = Metacouncil forum mmx = Multimediaxis forum mnc = old maniac forum ntl = NintendoLife forum ukn = unknown pcx = PCX forum pop = PowerPlay forum rta = ResetEra forum rtc = Retro Canteen forum rpg = RPG Maker MV forum sh2 = Shock² forum spz = Spazio PC vgz = Videogameszone forum
Alright, a winners ceremony: Congratulations to J.R., lifer, The_BACH, Lafazar and Excelsior - you are the Top 5 and have won this round!
Also Kudos to the italian Strider, Gerhard S, Cow Mengde, a gentle breeze and EarthPainting - together you form the Top 10.
"Here are my wares, would you like to buy something?" At some time in the 1980s, the "Item Shop" began to spread throughout computer games, having begun with dungeon crawlers like Rogue or Moria, and showing up in other genres as well - wherever one could spend hard earned ingame currency on new equipment inbetween levels.
That shall be our theme for this round - the many faces of merchants, store clerks and salespeople that sold us their stuff over many decades of gaming history. Do you remember them, or did the rest of the game turn out to be more memorable than the item shop?