Post by Mr_Horizon on Mar 20, 2021 14:09:04 GMT -5
March Quiz - Clues #1
Many participants have felt an awakening of old childhood and youth memories, lots of pictures seem familiar somehow... that's how it's supposed to go.
The "DOS classics" are one of the riddles where the name "retrogamequiz" is really fitting. 33 people already joined, and now it's time for some clues!
1) There are nine graphics adventures in this round (almost all of them point&click). 2) The games #2, #5 and #15 are first person shooters (but number five also packs some additional genres). 3) Title #3 is the first of a trilogy, and it was ported to all kinds of systems from Game Boy Color to Atari Jaguar. 4) With #12 we have a western RPG that plays in Europe during the late middle ages.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Mar 27, 2021 19:42:32 GMT -5
March Quiz - Clues #2
So Ladies and Gentlemen, it is Sunday the 28th... this means there's only four days to participate in this classic retro round. So can you dig out your MS-DOS memories and find those games?
So far there are 45 players, and four from this forum.
Here is the final sprint - with the last clues:
1) Game 16 follows a Disney cartoon movie. 2) Title 7 is part of a sci fi action franchise with lots of games, books, a movie and a cartoon series. 3) Number 19 is (in the USA) one of many games to a series of movies and books. 4) Game 17 is a point&click adventure with horror elements, released in the early 90s.
The third DOS round is over, with 97 participants... are there no more classics left, or will we have a part four one day?
About the bonus question - 75% of you followed the "insert coin" request at least once in their gaming life:
The high score table comes at the bottom, first I'll write down the names of the games followed by the answer picture.
1) Leisure Suit Larry 6 Wow, EVERYBODY knew the dirty old man! answer rate: 100% other suggestions: -
2) Duke Nukem 3D Loading screen of the fps classic. answer rate: 84% other suggestions: Command and Conquer, Fall Out
3) Cannon Fodder Yes, Cannon Fodder is a trilogy! answer rate: 57% other suggestions: Lemmings, Siedler
4) Mech Warrior 2 answer rate: 72% other suggestions: Descent
5) System Shock answer rate: 74% other suggestions: Syndicate, Star Wars, Splinter Cell, Hexen, Descent
6) Fade to Black Mmmh... should I have accepted the graphically completely different predecessor as a correct answer? answer rate: 56% other suggestions: 5x Flashback, Star Trek, James Bond, Another World, Alone in the Dark
7) Wing Commander Privateer There's really a cartoon series to this, "Wing Commander Academy" (audio improves after three minutes): youtu.be/UCWZiEBJpt0 answer rate: 48% other suggestions: Star Wars, Rebel Assault, Star Trek, Space Quest 6, Final Fantasy 7, Bioforge, Beneath a Steel Sky, Freelancer
9) MDK answer rate: 54% other suggestions: Space Hulk
10) Kings Quest 7 answer rate: 51% other suggestions: Willy Beamish, Toonstruck, Secret of Monkey Island, Litil Divil, Dylan Dog, Discworld, Day of the Tentacle, Cruise For A Corpse, Colonel‘s Bequest, Cinderella, Broken Sword
11) DreamWeb answer rate: 60% other suggestions: Another World, B.A.T., Battlethorne, Blade Runner, Die Fliege, Dune, Plan 9 From Outer Space
12) Darklands answer rate: 41% other suggestions: Wizardry, Ultima 7, Robin Hood, Drakkhen, Conquest of Longbow, Baldurs Gate
13) Dark Seed answer rate: 55% other suggestions: Aliens
14) Legend of Kyrandia answer rate: 52% other suggestions: Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Kings Quest, Baphomets Fluch
15) Heretic No, "Hexen" is the sequel. answer rate: 54% other suggestions: 12x Doom, 7x Hexen, Demon’s Crest, Dark Legions, Crypt Killer, Ultima Underworld, Shadowcaster, Quake, Magic Carpet
16) The Black Cauldron answer rate: 50% other suggestions: 9x Loom, Ultima, Oliver & Company, King's Quest 2, Commander Keen, Bambi, Aladdin
17) Shadow of the Comet "Call of Cthulhu" answer rate: 42% other suggestions: The Dig, Indiana Jones, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, Gabriel Knight, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Der Schatz im Silbersee
18.) The Bards Tale III answer rate: 63% other suggestions: Texas Ranger, Beneath a steel sky
19) Operation Stealth Sold under a "James Bond" license in the US. answer rate: 43% other suggestions: X-Com, Police Quest, Men in Black, Goosebumps, Gabriel Knight, Codename Iceman
20) Shattered Steel answer rate: 35% other suggestions: 12x Star Wars, G-Nome, Epic, Dune
21) Crystal Caves answer rate: 36% other suggestions: 7x Commander Keen, Secret Agent, Rick Dangerous, Boulder Dash
22) The Elder Scrolls: Arena answer rate: 39% other suggestions: Ultima Underworld, Ultima, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Wing Commander, Strife, Redneck Rampage, Outlaws, Might And Magic, KGB, Ishar 3, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
23) Altered Destiny answer rate: 24% other suggestions: Space Quest, Cosmos Cosmic Adventure, Zork 3D, Simon The Sorcerer, Die Rache der Olchies, Day of the Tentacle, Cthulhus fantastic voyage, Alien Olympics
24) Inner Worlds The toughest entry of this round. answer rate: 13% other suggestions: Blackthorne, Xargon, Realms of Chaos, Might And Magic, Lure of the Temptress, Jill of the Jungle, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Fallout, Daggerfall
25) Donkey.Bas The first DOS game ever, programmed by Bill Gates himself! answer rate: 38% other suggestions: Spy Hunter, Oregon Trail, Frogger
And we have a bunch of WINNERS: Congrats to Earthpainting, lifer, wiede, the_BACH, Striderblade, fl0rian and Gerhard S... you all have FULL POINTS and won this round! Also kudos to partykiller, Knuckles and residentgrigo, together you form the TOP 10.
I didn't get Inner Worlds either. For some reason I had assumed the screenshot to be part of a RPG character status screen. Altered Destiny is another one I didn't even know existed. I guess I have heard of Shattered Steel before, but since I don't know anything about mech-sims, I went with the even lesser known G-Nome instead, hehe.
Anyway, congrats to Cardassia for winning the local round!
You're right, that was low hanging fruit. I just can't help myself: Every dad-joke, every bad pun I cannot not make. Heck, even the phrase "low hanging fruit" is ripe with possibilities. Must.Not.Go.There.
Last Edit: Apr 6, 2021 8:48:20 GMT -5 by windfisch
You are a secret agent? You infiltrate heavily guarded facilities, can handle your gun (nevermind, ALL GUNS), and for your government or unspecified secret organisation you go to the limits of your very special abilities? Then this is the place for you - we need capable people to identify these 25 games!
All titles are (sometimes more, sometimes less) about agents, hitmen or spies - and in the bonus question you can complain about how I forgot to put genre classic XYZ in this mix.