Right?! I never got far enough in Super Empire Strikes Back to know what the Darth Vader sprite is suppose to look like. I was thinking it was some Sierra adventure game. I had to guess there was a Space Ace SNES game, since I rented a Dragon's Lair one from Blockbuster Video, back in the day.
PC master race incoming - looks like you are enjoying this round! The quiz has been up for just about ten days, but already over seventy people are digging out their 90s memories to try their luck on these DOS classics (two from this community). It probably helps these games are actual classics and not just some japanese obscurities.
Nevertheless - here are some clues for you!
1) Watch out, some titles might yield only half a point if you don't get the series entry right... I'll decide that by the end of the month. 2) Game 2 and game 3 are classic western RPGs. 3) With the numbers 4, 6 and 8 you are looking at realtime strategy games. 4) 12, 13, 14, 15... here you control spaceships, either for a few sequences or the entire game.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Apr 28, 2019 18:46:43 GMT -5
April Quiz - Clues #2
Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time for the final sprint. Tuesday night this round will end, and do you really want to miss out on the 2nd-biggest-of-all-time quiz? More than 90 people have joined so far, three from this community.
Here are the last clues for you:
1) Number 5 is not "Crazy Machines" 2) Number 9 is not "Gabriel Knight" 3) Number 12 is not "Space Hulk" 4) Number 18 is not "Little Big Adventure" 5) Number 25 is not "Theme Park"
And as a last comment - with the titles 1, 2, 4, 6, 7 and 19 you have series where you need to name the correct part to get the full point.
I didn't expect this result... we just casually had the biggest quiz participation of all time - hundredandtwelve! Once again I have to say thanks, or did you all have a gaming PC in the 90s and were just waiting to finally put that knowledge to use?
Average score has gone way up compared to the last round, and a total of TEN users managed to get a full score.
What were the correct answers and who made it into the top 10? Scroll down and see for yourself.
1) Sim City 2000 solved by: 91% other suggestions: -
2) Ultima 8 solved by: 66% other suggestions: Baldurs Gate, Diablo
3) Grand Theft Auto This was the easiest game of this round. solved by: 97% other suggestions: -
4) The Settlers 2 solved by: 71% other suggestions: populous, Age of Empires, Powermonger
5) The Incredible Machine solved by: 72% other suggestions: Crazy Machines, Impossible Machine, Prof. Tims verückte Werkstatt, The Sierra Chest
6) Warcraft solved by: 84% other suggestions: Megalomania, Dune, Starcraft
7) Megarace prerendered racing game full of FMV sequences - a typical 90s CD-Rom game! solved by: 53% other suggestions: Rock'n'Roll Racing, Crash'n'Burn, Hi-Octane, Another World, Carmageddon
8.) Command & Conquer red alert solved by: 80% other suggestions: Jagged Alliance, Starcraft, KKND
9) Phantasmagoria solved by: 56% other suggestions: Titanic, 7th guest, Schneewitchen, Gabriel Knight, Ishar, Kings Quest 7
10) Battle Isle solved by: 57% other suggestions: History Line, Special Forces, Tyrian, Advance Wars, Z
11) Full Throttle solved by: 84% other suggestions: -
12) Creature Shock little more than a sequence of render videos, with minimal shooting gallery gameplay: tinyurl.com/y5prvnek solved by: 38% other suggestions: Space Hulk, X-Com, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Serious Sam 2, Wolfenstein, Cyberia, Quake
13) Wing Commander 2 It says "locked target: Fralthra"... and AS EVERYBODY KNOWS, the Fralthra was only introduced in the 2nd part of the series!! However, I gave up on my inital plan to award only half points for naming the first game. solved by: 65% other suggestions: Elite, Star Trek
14) Descent solved by: 50% other suggestions: Wing Commander 3, Star Trek, Inferno
15) Star Wars TIE Fighter Mean picture from a cut scene. solved by: 57% other suggestions: System Shock, Loom, kings quest, The Secret Order 1
16) Magic Carpet solved by: 42% other suggestions: Commander Keen, Myst, Golden Balls, Super Worms
17) Commander Keen solved by: 63% other suggestions: Jazz Jack Rabbit, James Pond, Little Green Men, Hero
18.) Ecstatica 2 solved by: 42% other suggestions: 12x Little Big Adventure, Die Gilde, Omikron
19) the lost vikings solved by: 51% other suggestions: 3x Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Green Blob
20) Screamer solved by: 63% other suggestions: Virgin Racer, Carmageddeon, Need for Speed, Mega Race
21) Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny solved by: 52% other suggestions: Might and Magic, The Bard Tale, Betrayal at Krondor, Daggerfall, Baldurs Gate, Myst
22) Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri along with nr.25 this is the hardest game of this round. solved by: 25% other suggestions: Terminator Future Shock, Terminator Rampage, Battlezone, Halo, System Shock, Mechwarrior, Quake, Starsiege: Tribes, G-Nome, Dark Forces
23) the 7th Guest ...the 11th hour is the sequel! solved by: 50% other suggestions: 6x Myst, The 11th Hour, Alone in the Dark, Fate of Atlantis, Riven
25) Psycho Pinball intentionally tough fragment of this pinball game. solved by: 25% other suggestions: 7x theme park, 7x Sam & Max, 5x toonstruck, Day of the tentacle, Putt Putt in Circus Land, Lemmings, Discworld, Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies
4py = 4Players forum dgo = Dialogoption forum eab = English Amiga Board gpo = Gamepro forum gms = Gamestar forum guf = Gaming Universe forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 m!g = M!Games forum mmx = Multimediaxis forum mnc = altes maniac forum mtc = Metacouncil forum ntl = NintendoLife forum off = offline & unknown pcx = PCX forum pop = PowerPlay forum rat = rebell.at blog rpg = RPG Maker MV forum rta = ResetEra forum rtc = Retro Canteen forum vgz = Videogameszone forum
So then, a celebration: Applause to Andy1977, Gerhard S., fL0riaN, Aurelio, Splunge, wiede, Calastellio, Deadly Engineer, J.R. and Pasu... you all have FULL POINTS and won this round!
Two weeks ago the Nintendo Game Boy turned 30 years old, and to honor its legacy this round is dedicated to games for handheld consoles - but only on devices 100% made for video games, mobile phones are excluded.
Of course this topic means that Nintendos many handhelds are heavily covered, but I kept a balance: One half of this quiz is for games where Big N didn't supply the hardware.
After the round for MS-DOS classics this month might not be as easy, as a few obscure titles made their way into the lower half of the picture... but I am confident you can do it.
Well then, hope you brought enough batteries or an AC adapter to charge on the go?
Post by Mr_Horizon on May 13, 2019 10:31:19 GMT -5
May Quiz - Clues #1
I hope your battery still lasts a bit, this month is at best half over - more than enough time to join the 35 contestants (two from here) that already submitted their first round of anwers. In regards to points all doors are still open, the top 10 already starts at sixteen correct answers... maybe these clues will help:
1) Twelve games for Nintendo platforms, three each for Sega and Atari, plus six for Sony. A single title remains a mystery for now. 2) For the companies named above, the rule is "three quiz entries per console" (pre-advance Game Boys count as one though) 3) Number 8 & 9 were launch titles. 4) Number 1 is said to be the best game for that console. 5) the games 11 & 17 are turnbased RPGs.
Post by Mr_Horizon on May 25, 2019 18:09:52 GMT -5
May Quiz - Clues #2
A total of fifty people already joined, three from here - how about you? There now is less than a week to be part of the "30 years of gameboy" handheld quiz. Come on, here are the last clues:
1) The 2, 14 and 17 are games for the Sega Game Gear. 2) Game 18 is a shooting-heavy action game with prerendered backgrounds. 3) Title number 12 is by Square Enix. 4) 21 is a comic license game. 5) A single game this round was released on the Bandai Wonderswan.
The survey of the last round told me that 63 of the 75 participants have played with a Nintendo Game Boy before, and 33 of users even still own their original device! Interesting numbers, I wonder if they had a hand in all the good results of the May quiz?
What were the correct answers and who made it into the top 10? Scroll down and see for yourself!
1) Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX system: Game Boy Color solved by: 84% other suggestions: Yoshis Island, Earthbound, Wonder Boy
2) Sonic Drift system: Game Gear solved by: 81% other suggestions: Sonic, Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic & Sega all stars racing, Sonic Racing
3) Super Mario Land 3 - Wario Land system: Game Boy solved by: 88% other suggestions: Gargoyles Quest, Mario Paperworld, The Grumpy Hunchback
4) Tearaway system: PSP Vita solved by: 80% other suggestions: Katamari Demacy, Little Big Planet
5) Super Mario Maker system: Nintendo 3DS solved by: 85% other suggestions: Mario, Super Mario Land, Super Mario World
6) Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance system: Game Boy Advance solved by: 76% other suggestions: -
7) Loco Roco 2 system: PSP solved by: 79% other suggestions: Katamari Damacy, Patapon, Rythm Heaven
8.) Feel the Magic XY/XX Launch title, also known as "Project Rub". system: Nintendo DS solved by: 63% other suggestions: Feel the love, warioware touched
9) Pilot Wings Resort system: Nintendo 3DS solved by: 63% other suggestions: Ratchet & Clank, The Rocket Man
10) F-1 Race system: Game Boy solved by: 75% other suggestions: Grand Prix, Pitstop, Pole Position
11) Jeanne d'Arc system: PSP solved by: 33% other suggestions: Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem
12) the world ends with you system: Nintendo DS solved by: 55% other suggestions: Final Fantasy
13) Pursuit Force - Extreme Justice system: PSP solved by: 41% other suggestions: Chase HQ, COP the recruit, GTA Chinatown, Stuntman Ignition
14) Shinobi system: Game Gear solved by: 57% other suggestions: Mortal Kombat, Ninja Five-O, Ninja Gaiden, Power Rangers, Shadow Dancer
15) Metroid: Samus Returns system: Nintendo 3DS solved by: 60% other suggestions: God of War, R-Type Leo, Söldner X2
16) Advance Wars: Dual Strike system: Nintendo DS solved by: 79% other suggestions: -
17)Defenders of Oasis system: Game Gear solved by: 55% other suggestions: Phantasy Star 3, Prince of Persia, Shining Force
18.) Iridion II system: Game Boy Advance solved by: 31% other suggestions: Dariusburst, Nanostray
19) Gravity Rush system: PSP Vita solved by: 73% other suggestions: Braveley Default, FF12 Revenant Wings, Tomb Raider
20) Power Factor system: Atari Lynx solved by: 35% other suggestions: 4x Duke Nukem, Contra, Dan Dare, Todd's Adventures in Slime World, Trantor The last Stormtrooper
21) Astro Boy really mean screenshot, resulting in the hardest title of this round. system: Game Boy Advance solved by: 17% other suggestions: 4x Star Wars, Bio challenge, Super Robot Wars A
22) Blue Lightning system: Atari Lynx solved by: 45% other suggestions: Ace Combat, Afterburner, Starfox, Thunderbirds
23) Ecolibrium system: PSP Vita solved by: 31% other suggestions: Monster Hunter, Okamiden, Pony Farm, Spore Creatures, Xenoblade Chronicles, Ys:Memories of Celceta
24) Electrocop system: Atari Lynx solved by: 41% other suggestions: Gates of Zendocon, Halo, Infiltrator, Robocop
25) Armored Unit system: Wonderswan solved by: 27% other suggestions: Super Robot Taisen, Super Robot Wars, X-Com
4py = 4Players Forum dgo = Dialogoption Forum eab = English Amiga Board gpo = Gamepro Forum gms = Gamestar Forum guf = Gaming Universe Forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 m!g = M!Games Forum mmx = Multimediaxis Forum mnc = altes maniac Forum mtc = Metacouncil Forum ntl = NintendoLife Forum off = offline & unbekannt pcx = PCX Forum pop = PowerPlay Forum rat = rebell.at blog rpg = RPG Maker MV Forum rta = ResetEra Forum rtc = Retro Canteen Forum vgz = Videogameszone Forum
You enter the dungeon. Your party consists of a mage in long robes, a female barbarian in a chainmail bikini, a dwarf with an axe as big as his belly and a rogue with cape and dagger. After defeating countless monsters in the torch-lit (fluorescent mushrooms are also an option) corridors, you reach the legendary treasure room - only a massive iron gate is between you and incredible riches!
But whats this? The mage deciphers the old runes - solve the riddle, or may the gate remain closed forevermore... A riddle?? 25 video games?! WTF?!?
The mage rolls for intelligence, the thief examines the gate, while the dwarf lights a bonfire. At least you brought lots of food - rations for three weeks!
Can you solve the riddle? There's even a bonus question for an extra point...
Deadline is Sunday the 30th of June, so you got exactly three weeks. Please participate via www.retrogamequiz.com/
Again and again your party rolls for Intelligence and Wisdom, but so far you still haven't found out all games. Truly not an easy task for the so far 30 participants (one from here).
But searching the room reveals further ancient runes... what's that? Clues?! °_° Well here we go!
1) Slightly more than half of the games are western RPGs. 2) Almost all games are part of a series. 3) Four games in this quiz have (also) been released on the Commodore Amiga. 4) Number 6, 12 and 16 can only be played on Nintendo consoles. 5) In the first versions of title 25 the player character still looked like this: @