In the past years there were already two riddles with the theme "female protagonists", where you had to guess games where the player characters were women. This month's topic however has a lot less empowerment, as we are only dealing with women in need of saving - the damsel in distress. Be it the abducted princess, a disappeared girlfriend or some helpless girl locked in a cage. As usual the games cover a wide range from classics to obscure indie titles, but you are probably used to that by now.
I hope you enjoy this new round, and where is that title picture from?
Post by Mr_Horizon on Nov 16, 2019 14:39:27 GMT -5
November Quiz - Clues #1
Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle! Even though by now every game has been named correctly at least once, even the best participants so far are still several points short of a full score. Maybe some clues will help? ^_^
So far there are 32 people in total, and two from here.
Here we go:
1) The following pictures show the intro of the game: 1, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, 20, 23 und 25. I'm not sure about number 15. 2) Game one and game three have the same protagonist. 3) Number 13 is a game by Namco. 4) Game 18 is the newest title in this round. 5) Game 24 was not released on consoles.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Nov 22, 2019 10:38:16 GMT -5
November Quiz - Clues #2
Alright everyone, looks like you only have one week left to join this round, after that we'll determine who managed to save any princesses. The Top 10 starts at 19 points, so there's still plenty potential for all of you to get a nice score.
So far we are 44 participants, two of which are from this community. Currently english and german forums are tied for user count, it's 22 each!
Here are the last clues:
1) The following games also got an Arcade release: 3, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 20. 2) Number 24 is a 2D Platformer. 3) Number 25 is a 3D Action RPG. 4) Title 21 plays a bit like God of War. 5) These games are exclusive to one platform: 1, 4, 16, 25.
Legend tells of a group of 87 brave knights that ventured out to free all the abducted girlfriends, princesses and fairies from their various distressing fates... and a glorious Seven of them actually managed to do so without a single fail! Who are those daring riddle masters, recognizing each and every single fair lady of this round?
You'll see at the bottom of this post, for first we have the answers as text, then as pictures, followed by the high score table.
1) Super Mario Odyssey easy: Princess Peach is being abducted again, and everybody recognized her. solved by: 100% other suggestions: -
2) ICO poor Yorda sits in a cage, waiting for you to free her. solved by: 79% other suggestions: Shadow of the Colossus, Fatal Frame
3) Donkey Kong Pauline under monkey control - in the Nintendo arcade classic. solved by: 96% other suggestions: Super Mario
4) Fat Princess without a name, but with a lot of extra kilos. solved by: 88% other suggestions: -
5) Dragons Lair princess Daphne waiting for her saviour. solved by: 89% other suggestions: -
6) Resident Evil 4 look, it's a presidents daughter (Ashley). solved by: 87% other suggestions: Silent Hill 2 & 3
7) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles who remembers April O'Neil? solved by: 88% other suggestions: Snatcher
8.) Rayman Origins let's go and free some sexy fairies... solved by: 66% other suggestions: -
9) Guacamelee solved by: 68% other suggestions: Grim Fandango
10) Double Dragon poor Marian is always getting this nasty punch in the intro sequence... solved by: 76% other suggestions: Streets of Rage
11) Joe and Mac: Caveman Ninja solved by: 71% other suggestions: Prehistoric Man
12) Space Ace solved by: 66% other suggestions: Dragon's Lair, Roger Rabbit
13) Time Crisis ...another presidents daughter! solved by: 53% other suggestions: Virtua Cop, Resident Evil, Operation Winback, Ghost in the Shell, Confidential Mission
14) Prince of Persia this is the "anime version" for the Sega CD, that's why it looks so different. solved by: 40% other suggestions: Phantasy Star 3 & 4, Timespinner
15) Sonic `06 solved by: 52% other suggestions: Dead or Alive 5 Final Fantasy, Heavenly Sword
16) Pokemon Colosseum this is your Sidekick "Rui", who you have to save from kidnappers. solved by: 42% other suggestions: Ape Escape, Evolution, Evolution 2, Digimon
17) Adventures of Bayou Billy solved by: 34% other suggestions: 4x Dick Tracy, Hogan's Heroes, Sunset Riders, Deja Vu, Mad City
18.) Neo Cab this is your lost best friend, who you spend a lot of time searching for. solved by: 47% other suggestions: Tron Evolution
19) Turok 2 this is a screenshot from an HD remake. solved by: 32% other suggestions: Fear, Pathologic, Rule of Rose, Silent Hill, Morrowind
20) Kung Fu Master solved by: 32% other suggestions: Final Fight, Dropsy, McPixel, Streets of Rage
21) Dantes Inferno the devil himself has abducted (and corrupted...) your girlfriend. So mean! solved by: 29% other suggestions: Asura's Wrath Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, Lost Odyssey, Nier, Parasite Eve, Starcraft
22) Kings Quest 6 solved by: 38% other suggestions: Defender of the Crown, Prince of Persia, Gabriel Knight
23) Karateka solved by: 42% other suggestions: Prince of Persia
24) Eversion a weird little Windows platformer from 2008. solved by: 21% other suggestions: Bonk's Adventure, Commander Keen, Goblii(i)ns , Mermaid, popils, Wonder Boy III
25) Virtual Hydlide From the FMV Intro of this terrible Sega Saturn exclusive Action RPG. solved by: 21% other suggestions: Diablo, Dracula Unleashed, Fable, Gabriel Knight, Human Torch, Lands of Lore 2, Phantasmagoria, Battlestar Galactica
4py = 4Players forum dgo = Dialogoption forum eab = English Amiga Board gpo = Gamepro forum gms = Gamestar forum guf = Gaming Universe forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 m!g = M!Games forum mmx = Multimediaxis forum mnc = altes maniac forum mtc = Metacouncil forum ntl = NintendoLife forum pcx = PCX forum pop = PowerPlay forum rpg = RPG Maker MV forum rta = ResetEra forum rtc = Retro Canteen forum vgz = Videogameszone forum
So then, a winners ceremony: Congratulations to master_Willem, Lafazar, Antiriad2097, Havie, fl0rian, Splunge and Deadly Engineer... you all have FULL POINTS and won this round!
Also kudos to fedprod, Earthpainting and BlazeHedgehog, together you form the TOP 10.
I believe this time I'm overdoing it with the movie reference, does anyone even remember Wishmaster? No matter - last round you could pick your favourite genre+platform... and I used those entries to create this last quiz of the year! Thanks to some overlap in your most beloved genres there are now titles for over fourty users in this round. Here is another twist though:
- if you correctly guess the game from your genre/platform combo, you get a bonus point. - but if you DON'T get the game from your genre/platform combo, you get a penalty (-1 point)!
To not have this rule break the game, it only applies for scores between 5 and 20 points.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Dec 13, 2019 17:07:20 GMT -5
December Quiz - Clues #1
In the Wes Craven movie "Wishmaster" many wishes have unintended negative consequences - similar to how this round turned a harmless bonus question into an entire quiz. Would you have entered "Arcade Games via MAME" if you knew you'd have to guess such a game correctly in the following month or face a penalty?
It is definitely a tough last round of the year, average score is below ten points... don't give up now! So far we are 22 people, and two from this community.
Maybe some clues will help? On we go!
1) The first column is just RPGs. 2) The second column contains only Platformers (or games with platforming elements). 3) The third one is all about racing games. 4) Columns four and five have no theme... and no platformers, RPGs or racers. 5) Game number four was released in 2019.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Dec 20, 2019 10:03:40 GMT -5
December Quiz - Clues #2
Christmas is just around the corner - join the quiz now before holidays and family make you forget. There are some very personal presents from me as well, for I am giving you an extra amount of clues... it is a tough round with an average score still below ten.
So far we are 32 people, and two from this community.
Here are the new clues:
1) Game six is a RPG classic for PC. 2) Number 22 is a N64 platformer. 3) Title seven is a modern Metroidvania. 4) Screenshot nine shows an adventure that was also released on the Amiga. 5) On the 11 you can see a famous ps1 RPG. 6) Game 15 shows a 3rd person shooter, that scene plays in Dubai. 7) ...and the mysterious 25? On that picture you see a woman in a boat, the blue thing is a paddle.
Post by Mr_Horizon on Dec 27, 2019 19:11:25 GMT -5
December Quiz - Clues #3
Only three days remain of this year... less than 100 hours left for you to finally join this round. So far we are close to 50 participants, and two from here.
Here are the very last clues:
1) Number 8 is not "Need for Speed". 2) Number 13 is not "Wipeout". 3) Number 17 is not "Dragon Quest", enemies are sucked in & spat out again. 4) Number 18 is not "Daytona". 5) Number 19 is not "Virtual On", but the console platform is correct. 6) Sigh... the 25 is an arcade only game from 1983.
The year is over, once again you all have solved every video game riddle posted here. For last month this includes every possible outcome, from 1 to 25 points, and exactly ONE person figured out every single game... who might this be? ^_^
There was something special about the december quiz, as it was built from the genres you named as your favourites in the previous round. How did this turn out? Next to every game in the answers below is a "favourite genre of" entry, which specifies which users picked this genre. Behind every username is a symbol, which means one of the following:
(+) this user guessed the game from his genre correctly and gets a bonus point! (-) this user didn't find out the game from his genre and loses a point! (0) this user had above 20 or below 5 points, no points were applied. (x) this user was a no show and didn't join this round.
Now we first have the answers as text, then as pictures, followed by the high score table.
1) Secret of Mana a scene from the beginning of a great SNES classic. Half a point for "sword of mana". solved by: 87% favourite genre of: Earthpainting (0), Thrawn (+), Wizdom (0) other suggestions: Chrono Trigger, King Arthur, Sword of Mana, RPG Maker
2) Alex Kidd in the enchanted Castle a platformer for the Sega Genesis. solved by: 86% favourite genre of: nbnt (x) other suggestions: Kid Icarus
3) South Park Rally not everybody recognised Secret of Mana, this South Park racer however has a 100% answer rate. solved by: 100% favourite genre of: Scorplian (+) other suggestions: -
4) The Surge 2 a rather new soulslike scifi game. solved by: 32% favourite genre of: master_Willem (0) other suggestions: 3x Astral Chain, 3x Demon X Machina, 3x Death Stranding, Anthem, Army of Two, Control, Fallout 76, Left Alive, Titanfall, Transformers, Wolfenstein New Order
5) Return of the Obra Dinn a puzzle game recently also released on the Switch. solved by: 67% favourite genre of: Don Como (-) other suggestions: 7x Pirates, Links Awakening
6) Baldurs Gate a true PC-RPG classic. solved by: 57% favourite genre of: Abalone (x), Lafazar (0), BlindRhythm (0) other suggestions: Heroes of Might and Magic, Icewind Dale, Jagged Alliance 2
7) Iconoclasts Ein Multiplatform Metroidvania. solved by: 64% favourite genre of: fedprod (+) other suggestions: Cave Story, Crypt of the Necrodancer
8.) Burnout 3 solved by: 67% favourite genre of: Lant_War (x) other suggestions: 5x Need for Speed, Autobahn Raser, Dangerous Driving, Outrun, Traffic Slam
9) Goblins Quest 3 third part of the Gobli(ii)ns series. "Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth" is from the same team, but a different game. solved by: 41% favourite genre of: Calastellio (0), Lukulus (x), j1m (-), fl0rian (+) other suggestions: Day of the Tentacle, Rayman, Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
10) Kerbal Space Program a rockets & space simulation with cute aliens. solved by: 53% favourite genre of: DancingDan (+) other suggestions: EVE Online, Mass Effect
11) Xenogears a famous JRPG for the first playstation. solved by: 50% favourite genre of: residentgrigo (+), Klingsor- (+), Mod-Team (x), Qwark (+) other suggestions: Final Fantasy 7, Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant Story
15) Spec Ops: the line TubaZef & Nobby_UK wanted a first person shooter, only in the end I saw Spec Ops has a 3rd person perspective. -_- No minuspoints for anyone here! solved by: 59% favourite genre of: TubaZef (0), Nobby_UK (0) other suggestions: Call of Duty, Days Gone, Ghost Recon Future Soldier, Legend of Legaia 2, Socom
16) Baten Kaitos a RPG for the Nintendo Gamecube. solved by: 46% favourite genre of: Vyse24 (x) other suggestions: 4x Phantasy Star Online, Fire Emblem, Star Ocean, Timestalkers, X-men Legends
17) Tumble Pop an arcade platformer with a fun "suck up & release" gameplay. solved by: 20% favourite genre of: Havie (0) other suggestions: 4x Dragon Quest, Go Go Ackman, Kirby's Adventure, Rolo to the Rescue, Suikoden, Terarria
18.) Sega Super GT also known as "Scud Race". solved by: 53% favourite genre of: BlazeHedgehog (x) other suggestions: 5x Daytona, 3x Ridge Racer, Gran Tourismo, Sega Rally
19) Tech Romancer after I spammed you with clues for number 25, now this Dreamcast fighter ends up as the hardest title of this round. solved by: 9% favourite genre of: Chris IWS (x), Rac (+) other suggestions: 5x Virtual On, 3x Zero Divide, Armored Warriors, Bulk Slash, Burning Rangers, Gundam, Mecha Damashii, Night Warriors, Zone of the Enders
21) Okage Shadow King a less serious RPG for the ps2. solved by: 37% favourite genre of: Rudi Ratlos (-) other suggestions: Costume Quest, Disgaea 2, Kingdom Hearts, Luigis Mansion, Paper Mario, Shin Megami Tensei
22) Chameleon Twist 2 a less known platformer for the N64. solved by: 36% favourite genre of: Illusionary (+), Yoshi (x) other suggestions: 3x Alice im Wunderland, Conquer Bad Fury, Glover, Jumping Jack Flash, Klonoa, Mario 64, Spyro, Tonic Trouble
23) Forza Motorsport 6 twelve people guessed Gran Turismo! solved by: 41% favourite genre of: geohound (+) other suggestions: 12x Gran Turismo, Driveclub, Jaguar 550, MSR, Project Gotham Racing, Super Racing Unlimited
25) Granny and the Gators A few weeks ago I was in Budapest and visited the "Pinball Museum". With great surprise I discovered a pinball machine that was a hybrid of video game and pinball - Granny and the Gators has a built-in screen, on wich you have to use the pinball buttons to dodge alligators and spears with the titular grandma (you can also play it on MAME). Here is a picture from the museum: imgur.com/QtZsa5R solved by: 12% favourite genre of: Pascal Parvex (-) other suggestions: Boat Race, Boat Safari, Congo Bongo, Drinking Game 1976, ET, I Robot, I Rowboat, Mrs. Bottom on the Run
4py = 4Players Forum dgo = Dialogoption Forum eab = English Amiga Board gpo = Gamepro Forum gms = Gamestar Forum guf = Gaming Universe Forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 m!g = M!Games Forum mmx = Multimediaxis Forum mnc = altes maniac Forum mtc = Metacouncil Forum ntl = NintendoLife Forum pcx = PCX Forum pop = PowerPlay Forum rpg = RPG Maker MV Forum rta = ResetEra Forum rtc = Retro Canteen Forum vgz = Videogameszone Forum
So then, a winners ceremony: Congratulations to J.R., EarthPainting, Lafazar, Splunge, and Wizdom... you are the TOP 5 and have won this round!
Also Kudos to Kong, master_Willem, Calastellio, Havie and Ruvon, together you form the TOP 10.
Here the local high score:
1 - 15 points - windfisch 2 - 06 points - Snake
Congrats to windfisch for the local lead.
This marks the end of this quiz season, there'll be an end-of-year ranking coming in a week or so.
Thanks to all for participating - I am taking a break and we will continue in a few months!
The year is over, and I'd like to announce some overall winners (and winning forums) from all the contestants and points of 2019. The german language forums already got their high scores earlier this week, so now it's about time for the english communities.
As this quiz is a competition among several online forums (19 in total!), I'd like to explain how you score points for your forum.
SCORE HIGH If you make it to the top 10 in any of the quizzes, you gather between one and five points for your forum.
ENDURANCE Frequent participation also gets you (between one and four) points for your forum, that's how you can contribute even without lots of nerd knowledge.
Alright, this is how the participating forums have made it through the year:
4py = 4Players Forum dgo = Dialogoption Forum eab = English Amiga Board gpo = Gamepro Forum gms = Gamestar Forum guf = Gaming Universe Forum hcg = hardcore gaming 101 m!g = M!Games Forum mmx = Multimediaxis Forum ntl = NintendoLife Forum mnc = old maniac Forum mtc = MetaCouncil Forum pcx = PCX Forum pop = PowerPlay Forum rpg = RPG Maker Forum rta = ResetEra Forum rtc = Retro Canteen Forum vgz = Videogameszone Forum way = Waypoint Forum
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A round of applause, 12th place for the hardcore gaming 101 Board!
That's an average result, but overall you managed to improve year on year, from 15 to 12!
The largest slice of your points were achieved by Windfisch (3 score points and 1 endurance point), while Snake contributed three and mainpatr another two.
There were three new forums in 2019: The MetaCouncil, the RPG Makers and the Waypoint community all joined the competition - welcome! However Waypoint is already out again, the Mods didn't want the quiz there.