Game Club 199X #20 - Terra Nova Jun 5, 2013 8:21:45 GMT -5
Post by Snarboo on Jun 5, 2013 8:21:45 GMT -5
Holy crap, the podcast is finally available! Grab it here!
June's game is Terra Nova, a unique combat sim by Looking Glass Software. Before suiting up, consult Wikipedia's article for more:
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (PC-DOS)
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri is a 1996 tactical first-person shooter video game developed and published by Looking Glass Technologies. Set in a science fictional depiction of the 24th century, the game follows a faction of humans who colonize the Alpha Centauri star system to escape from a totalitarian Earth government. The player assumes the role of Nikola ap Io, the leader of an Alpha Centauri military unit, and undertakes missions against pirates and the Hegemony.
As a tactical first-person shooter, Terra Nova focuses on combat and takes place from a character's eye view in a three-dimensional (3D) graphical environment. The protagonist wears powered battle armor (PBA) that features lock-on targeting, jumpjets for limited flight, infrared and zoomed vision, and a rechargeable energy shield that protects against attacks. The player uses a freely movable mouse cursor to aim weapons and manipulate the heads-up display (HUD) interface.
The player is usually accompanied by up to three artificial intelligence-controlled squadmates, who may be given tactical orders such as holding a position, taking cover or rushing enemies. Squadmates may be commanded as a group or individually; for example, one half of a squad may be used to distract enemies while the other half attacks an objective.
Wikipedia's Terra Nova Article
- Courtesy of zerker, here's where you can buy one of 300+ surplus copies of Terra Nova!
- ...or you can just steal it like the dirty thief you are.
- Need help setting up Terra Nova? Countzero recommends this video.
- TTLG has their own fanpage for Terra Nova.
- Zerker has some tips on setting up DOSBox and how to get past mission 3.
- Need help with mission 17? Zerker has you covered!
- "Eksfaktr does point out, though, that you can target the crate from as far away as you can see it; use the magnification buttons in the top-left corner to get a better vantage point." courtesy of Weasel
- "Note that Mission 20 is a similar "avoid the guard"-type mission. When I was *just about* done, I noticed that the EM Dampener that I selected for the mission needs to actually be turned on! So anyone trying Mission 20 for stealth, remember to turn your dampener on!" courtesy of zerker
- Having troubles with mission 29 or 36? Sotenga's got your back!
Voting ended on Saturday, June 8th at 10:30 PM EST.
*NOTE*: When voting, please choose a game that you want to play - and will play - but have not beaten entirely or beaten recently, say, within the last 5 - 10 years.
You may not vote for a game that you have played or spoiled within the last year! It's also best to vote for a game that you have not played before.
All votes are final, so no going back if you change your mind. Make your vote as clear as possible. If you don't wish to vote, please say so in your post. If you're going to vote, we'd like to have you along for the ride!
Previous GC9X Threads: